Plaza de la Constitucion
Located at the heart of America’s oldest city,
the Plaza de la Constitucion has been a
center of life in St. Augustine, Florida since
the 16th century.
The oldest public park in the United States,
the plaza was established by Spanish Royal
Ordinances in 1573, thirty-four years before
the English settlers of Jamestown waded
ashore in Virginia.
The original orders establishing the plaza
required that it be oriented toward the primary
compass points with a length equal to one a
one-half times its width.
During the Spanish era, the public and
government buildings of St. Augustine were
constructed facing the plaza, which was a
center for public activity in the city.
Among the structures still standing around
the plaza is the historic Government House.
Built during the years 1706-1713, the
building served as the home of Florida’s
Spanish governors. In 1823 it briefly served
as the capitol of the Florida Territory and in
1862 it was here that Union officers took
possession of St. Augustine during the Civil